Hustle and Pastrami Pairing
Ground Ruled Double Pastrami Sandwich
"This one’s straightforward: save your Rye Pale Ale for drinking because this sandwich is best with a cold pint of Rhinegeist Hustle. The sweet and spicy pickle slaw, dill Havarti, and fresh shaved pastrami knocks this pairing out of the park." —Chef Christian Gill
Sweet and Spicy Pickle Slaw:
- 1 jar of your favorite dill spears (drained)
- 1 jar of your favorite bread and butter or spicy pickle chips (drained)
- 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of fresh dill coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- ½ cup of white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- Slice all your pickles into strips, (or grate them on a cheese grater!) then combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Let the mixture sit for one hour.
- 12 slices of your favorite sourdough or marble rye (we love the rye obviously)
- 2 pounds of your favorite pastrami shaved thin
- ½ pound of dill Havarti sliced thin
- ½ pound of provolone
- 1 cup of slow roasted grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup of your favorite German mustard (Chef Christian recommends Dusseldorf!)
For your tomatoes:
- Pre-heat oven to 425°f.
- Slice 3 cups of grape tomatoes in half. Spread them out evenly on a cookie sheet. Sprinkle salt and pepper over tomatoes (to your taste!).
- Drizzle ¾ cup of olive oil over tomatoes and give them a light toss to coat.
- Put in oven for 15 minutes or until they are slightly shriveled and charred. Remove from oven and let cool.
And the final touches...
- Take three slices of bread and start stacking cheeses, tomato, and mustard.
- If you like your pastrami hot, steam or sear it to your liking then pile high between the layers.
- Finish sandwich off with Sweet and Spicy Pickle Slaw and then devour!