Mosaic Mixed Berry Compote
Mosaic Mixed Berry Compote and Saffron Chai Oat Custard
“Rise and shine, friends, this breakfast/brunch dish is hearty, vibrant, and packs a Rhinegeist punch. The subtle saffron and vanilla undertones with the refreshing citrus profile of Mosaic Compote will bring all your friends to the table!” - Chef Christian Gill
- 1 cup Mosaic
- 1 cup of raspberries (fresh)
- 1 cup of blackberries (fresh)
- 2 cups of blueberries (fresh)
- 1 cup of sugar
- In a large skillet combine all berries and evenly pour sugar over top.
- Bring heat up to medium-high.
- Berries should start to sweat and the sugar should dissolve slightly. Let them cook at medium-high for 3 more minutes.
- Once you start to smell the sugar caramelizing on the bottom of the pan, give the mix a good stir and fold.
- Slowly pour in 1 cup of Mosaic.
- Stir gently and reduce heat to medium-low.
- As the compote starts to thicken and reduce, drag a wooden spoon through the middle. The compote is essentially finished reducing once you can drag the spoon through and the mix takes a few seconds to come back together.
- Turn off heat and set to the side!
Saffron Chai Oat Custard
- 4 cups of your favorite oats (we like a mix of whole oat, bran, flax, and Bulgar)
- 4 cups of chai brewed extra strong (we love a peppery chai)
- 3 threads of saffron
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- In a medium saucepan, bring the oats and chai to a boil. Cover and turn heat to low.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, blend the egg yolks and sugar together to stabilize the yolks.
- In a small sauce pan bring the heavy cream, spices, and saffron to a steaming simmer.
- Whisk in the yolk and sugar mixture. Stir briskly to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low and stir frequently to keep from burning for 8 minutes.
- Pour cream and egg custard base into saucepan with oats. The oats should have absorbed most of the chai.
- Fold together gently and remove heat. Cover.
- Let the oat custard rest for 10 minutes then spoon into bowl.
- Add a spoonful of Mosaic Mixed Berry compote on top and enjoy!