Sweet Jam with Truth
“They say the truth is in the pudding, well, at Rhinegeist, it's in the jam. This Sweet Jam with Truth is a year-round lip-smacker that can be put on everything!” - Chef Christian Gill
- 3 large red onions diced
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of Rhinegeist Truth
- 2/3 cup of chardonnay vinegar (or white balsamic if you cannot find chardonnay vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Generous pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a large skillet heat olive oil.
- Add diced onions, garlic, and parsley to oil and cook for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add cayenne pepper, thyme, and sugar to onions stirring only to coat.
- Let the mixture reduce over medium heat as the onions start to caramelize. There will be minor sear and char on the bottom layer of onions so toss a couple times to keep from burning.
- As the sugar melts and becomes sticky add the Truth to de-glaze the pan, making sure to coat all of the mixture.
- Incorporate the chardonnay vinegar stir and turn heat down to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, or until you can drag a flat spatula through the middle and it takes more than 2 seconds to come back together.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Slap it on your favorite sandwich, burger, crusty bread, or use it as a garnish for roasted pork or chicken!
- Refrigerate! Good for 5 days per batch!
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 lb ground round
- 1/4 lb ground bacon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of orange zest
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of fresh cracked pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 large beefsteak tomato sliced thick
- 1 wheel of your favorite boursin style cheese (we prefer original garlic and herb!)
- 1 lb thick cut bacon on the crispy side
- 8oz of Sweet Jam with Truth
- Your favorite burger buns
- Combine all the spices eggs and protein in a large bowl. Be sure to mix thoroughly with your hands until all the spices are well incorporated in the beef and pork mixture.
- Patty out 1/2 pound burgers and put them in a freezer safe ziploc bag.
- Let them rest for fifteen minutes.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high and add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, add three or four patties to the skillet. Let them cook for 7 minutes per side and only flip them once!
- When flipped, add 2 tablespoon of boursin cheese to the cooked side of the burgers. Spread evenly and let it melt during the rest of the cooking time.
- Split your buns and spread a generous amount of Sweet Jam onto the top half of the bun.
- Stack the rest of your ingredients however you wish and add your cooked patty as soon as it is ready.
- Crack open a cold Truth and watch your friends pass out from deliciousness.